Aaron, my P90X obsessed hubby has recently started a Beachbody Challenge Group. One of the members of the group said his main challenge to losing weight was his sweet tooth and his inability to control himself once he got a taste of the good stuff. This is something I can DEFINITELY relate to!! This is always my main challenge too. I mean, how do you refuse this
and choose this?? I know some of you could do it easily…that is why I wanted to make this post! The other members of the challenge group have decided to give up sugar for the 90-day challenge to support him (and of course consequently help their own health and fitness goals). And while I am far from perfect in this, I will share some tips that have helped me in the past.
When a craving strikes:
1. Drink a huge glass of water to fill my belly quickly.
2. Brush my teeth (or put in a piece of gum if I am out)…that dessert never tastes as good when my mouth is minty fresh
3. Find a healthier substitute:
-fruit, naturally sweet and high in fiber
**bananas easily make me think I am eating a dessert, especially frozen and blended with a little milk…and maybe a little raw cocoa…and natural peanut butter…it’s practically ice cream! These cookies are ridiculously easy, yet surprisingly tasty and wholesome–no added sugar or oil.
-protein bars or protein shakes are usually pretty sweet
4. Eat something healthy before going somewhere I know there will be temptation
5. Don’t put too severe of restrictions on myself that make it hard to be successful, i.e if I swear them off for too long, I will just binge when time comes to eat them again! Instead, I build in a “cheat” day where I can have whatever I want which makes it easier for long term success.
6. Walk away from the kitchen! Especially late at night when I am tired and weak!
Those are my thoughts for now before heading to bed. What are some tips that you have for resisting those cravings??