Yes, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I could give you my excuses, but I doubt you care so let’s just get on with it. As mentioned in my last post, my husband has been trying to figure out his food allergies. As part of that we talked about doing a 28-day detox and elimination diet. For many reasons (of course none of them being that we are afraid of the green smoothie fast), we decided to postpone that, but not until after I had bought 3 Costco-sized clamshells of leafy greens.
So though it is still winter, I may be posting a lot of recipes heavy on the green veggies over the next little while as I attempt to eat them all before they spoil. If you don’t get excited about vegetables, I apologize, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one out there who could stand to eat more!
This recipe, from Tosca Reno’s Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook 2, reminded me of my favorite salad at the Cheesecake Factory, so it was the first thing I made from the book that my sweet brother got me for Christmas.
What are your favorite salad recipes?
BBQ Chicken Chop Chop Salad
- ¼ cup Spicy Clean BBQ Sauce***
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz chicken breasts
- 2 ears corn, husked (I just used frozen corn, since again, it’s winter!)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 baby zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 head romaine, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- ¼ red onion
- 1 avocado, cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together BBQ sauce, garlic, mustard, lime juice, vinegar and black pepper. Whisk in olive oil and set aside.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Lightly season chicken breasts, corn, peppers, and zucchini with seat salt and black pepper. Cook chicken and vieggies on grill, turning once, until marks appear and veggies are slightly softened but not cooked through, about 2 minutes each side. Continue cooking chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes each side. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- In a very large bowl, add romaine, black beans, and onion. Cut cork from cops and add to bown. Cut peppers, zucchini and chicken into bite sized pieces, and add to bowl. Pour reserved BBG dressing over top and toss to combine. Add avocado and cilantro, and very gently toss to combine.
NUTRITION: Calories 367 / Fat 11 g / Carbs 36g / Protein 30 g / Fiber 11 g
***Clean BBQ Sauce
(feel free to use premade BBQ sauce if pressed for time, but be sure to check the label because those things are usually full of High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, and Preservatives)
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- ½ large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 TBSP deli mustard
- 1 TBSP cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add rest of ingredients, stir to combine, and simmer for 15 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Pour into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Can be stored in a sealed container in fridge for up to two weeks.